A limited edition of Dolly Parton’s latest CD, “Backwoods Barbie,” was released this past March 23. This limited edition CD features three new tracks and is on sale exclusively at Cracker Barrel location. Visit Crackerbarrel.com for more information.
I was given a copy of this limited edition for review. I had not heard the original Backwoods Barbie released in February of 2008. I had heard some of the songs released to radio but not the CD. I am so glad I got to hear this whole CD. I loved it. The strong beautiful vocals and classic bluegrass sound just pulls you in and won’t let you go. Jesus & Gravity, Somebody’s Everything, and the title track were my favorites. I guess I should say something about the three new tracks (Rose of My Heart, Hallelujah Holiday, & Berry Pie) since this is what this limited edition is all about. I am afraid I don’t have much good to say about them. I loved the album but was not crazy about the three bonus tracks on the Cracker Barrel edition. They were just too campy for me. You should only get this limited edition CD if you are an extreme Dolly Parton fan. If you don’t own the Backwoods Barbie CD yet, you should get the limited edition release that contains two bonus tracks of live performances of Jolene & Two Doors Down. Here is the amazon link to get the limited edition with the live bonus tracks. I know I wish that was the edition I was reviewing. I have a little breakdown by song for the album minus the three bonus tracks at the end of this post. I have embedded the live Jolene song from the other limited edition album. I found on IMEEM.COM. That way everyone can listen to how awesome it is. It is cute what Dolly says before she sings the song live. You will get a laugh if you play it. If you have already heard this version of the CD you know what I mean.
Backwoods Barbie Track List
1. Get To Livin’ – Great music, sounds seasoned. Wise – It is a great advice pick me up song.
2. Made Of Stone – Love it. So country. Great Cheatin’ song.
3. Drives Me Crazy – Her version of this song is so cute. Just want to do a little country dance.
4. Backwoods Barbie – Great song. I like imperfection as a theme.
5. Jesus & Gravity – The best. Her vocals were amazing. Inspirational
6. Only Dreamin – Another great showcase for her voice and passion.
7. The Tracks Of My Tears – This Smokey Robinson remake is awesome.
8. The Lonesomes – Not my thing but very classy.
9. Cologne – Cool. I do like my cheating songs.
10. Shinola – I love a good man hating song. I like when Dolly tells how it is.
Great for anyone going through a break up or in a bad spot in a relationship.
11. I Will Forever Hate Roses – Wow this is so old school. Dolly sounds good singing it. Just a nice little heartbreak song. This would be a great duet song with Randy Travis or George Strait.
12. Somebody’s Everything – Loved it. One of my favorites.
13. Rose of My Heart
14. Hallelujah Holiday
15. Berry Pie